NOOKSACK INDIAN TRIBE
NOOKSACK BUSINESS CORPORATION III (NBC III)
BOARD VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
SEEKING APPLICATIONS TO SERVE ON THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF NOOKSACK BUSINESS CORPORATION III
The Tribal Council of the Nooksack Indian Tribe (NIT) is soliciting applications from NIT Tribal Members seeking appointment to fill one (1) position on the Board of Directors of NBC III. This is a position and will serve until resignation or removal.
NBC III was created in 2020 as a wholly-owned corporation of the NIT, organized under Title 57 of the Nooksack Tribal Code. NBC III may pursue the lawful business of selling, marketing, manufacturing, processing or producing cannabis and cannabis-related products. Currently, NBC III’s exclusive holding consists of the Between the Ferns cannabis dispensary.
MISSION AND PURPOSE OF NBC III/ROLE OF
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
As stated in its Charter of Incorporation, the purposes of NBC III include:
- To engage in any type of lawful business, enterprise or venture having to do with the production, manufacture, distribution, packaging, marketing or sale of marijuana and marijuana-based products;
- To provide for the efficient and effective utilization of the resources of the Tribe in a manner which protects the long-term interests of the Tribe;
- To promote the economic development of the Tribe;
- To accomplish the segregation of tribal business interests, assets and liabilities; and
- To provide a vehicle for the Tribe to accomplish the financing of capital projects located exclusively on Nooksack tribal trust lands used by the Tribe for any purpose.
The Board of Directors is responsible for working with Between the Ferns’s General Manager, the Tribal Council and other management staff to develop strategies and plans for NBC III to further the mission and purposes of NBC III. Funding for NBC III activities comes from the Between the Ferns and from other appropriations approved by the NIT’s Tribal Council.
The NBC III Board of Directors is responsible for maintaining regular reporting and accountability to the NIT Tribal Council pursuant to NBC III’s Charter and Bylaws and other communication procedures.
The day-to-day business activities of Between the Ferns is managed by the General Manager, who also is responsible for hiring and supervising other Between the Ferns personnel.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS FOR APPOINTMENT
In accordance with the Charter and Bylaws for NBC III, the Tribal Council appoints three (3) Board members from the Tribe’s adult membership.
All persons appointed to the Board must possess the following qualifications (as verified by an extensive background investigation and interview) to be considered for appointment.
- Must be a currently enrolled Nooksack Tribal Member twenty-one (21) years of age or older.
- Possess a high school diploma or a General Equivalency Diploma.
- Must not have a felony conviction or equivalent under tribal law within the past ten (10) years.
- Must not have a gross misdemeanor or misdemeanor or equivalent within the past three (3) years.
- Must not have any pending criminal charges in any jurisdiction.
- Have a working knowledge and understanding of the following laws and regulations and agreements: Title 58A (Cannabis); Title 57 (Tribal Entities); Title 100 (Tribal Tax); and the Tribal/State Cannabis Compact.
Desired experience, credentials, and background:
- Five (5) years successful work experience in retail sales, management, business administration, public administration or law.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of Tribal economic development strategies, including knowledge of Tribal sovereignty as it relates business development strategies.
- Demonstrated history of personal and professional integrity, financial responsibility, and honesty and adherence to high ethical standards.
- Commitment to NBC III’s Annual Strategic and Operating Plans, investment goals and strategies.
- Ability to attend NBC III Board meetings and meetings of the Tribal Council and General Membership meetings when needed.
- Ability and willingness to provide detailed personal and financial information and submit to extensive background investigation and interview.
TERM OF OFFICE/COMPENSATION
The three (3) individuals appointed will serve a term established by the Tribal Council.
Compensation: Members of the Board of Directors may be compensated as determined by the Tribal Council for attendance at meetings and participation in conference calls/planning activities to be undertaken by the Board. Board Members will also be eligible for reimbursement of travel and other expenses incurred in furtherance of NBC III activities in accordance with a budget to be developed for NBC III.
APPLICATIONS SHOULD BE RECEIVED NO LATER THAN MONDAY, APRIL 10, 2023 BY 5:00P.M. AND SENT/DELIVERED TO:
Nooksack Indian Tribe
Human Resources Department
PO Box 157
Deming, WA 98244
Office Phone: 360-592-5176