Nooksack Behavioral Health’s mission is to offer a comprehensive and culturally sensitive Mental Health Counseling Services to the Nooksack Tribal community and Native Americans living in the area (families, elders, adults, adolescents and children). The Nooksack Behavioral Health unit is under the leadership of the Health Director, Lona Johnson and the direction of Licensed Clinical Psychologist, Dr. Aamer A Khan. This clinic has adopted the philosophy of outreach and trauma-informed care. All Behavioral Health Staff are trained on hire to provide services grounded in trauma-informed principals. Trauma-informed care is about creating a culture built on six core principles:
- Trauma Understanding: through knowledge and understanding trauma and stress our clinicians practice compassion and take well-informed steps toward wellness.
- Safety & Security: by increasing stability in our daily lives and having core physical and emotional safety needs met can minimize our stress reactions and allow us to focus our resources on wellness.
- Cultural Humility & Responsiveness: when we are open to understanding cultural differences and respond to them sensitively, we make each other feel understood and wellness is enhanced.
- Compassion & Dependability: when we experience compassionate and dependable relationships, we re-establish trusting connections with others that fosters mutual wellness.
- Collaboration & Empowerment: when we are prepared for and are given real opportunities to make choices for ourselves and our care, we feel empowered and can promote our own wellness.
- Resilience & Recovery: when we focus on our strengths and clear steps we can take toward wellness, we are more likely to be resilient and recover.
- Comprehensive intake and assessment
- Mental health counseling (children, adolescents, families, adults, and victims of abuse)
- Referral to Chemical Dependency NIT unit
- Crisis management & Suicide prevention counseling & referral
- Specialized psychiatry service (adults only)
- Referral to Specialized pediatric psychiatry
- Public School counseling & advocacy for Native children
- Head Start consultation and services to the children and families.
- After school consultation and intervention groups
- Art Therapy
- Play Therapy for children
Dr. Aamer Khan
Licensed Clinical Psychologist
Behavioral Health Specialist (AAC)